Saturday, November 8, 2014

Placebo concert review Athens 8th August 2014 by Kiko from Greece

                 
 Placebo Live-Loud Like Love Tour
Concert in Athens-8th August 2014



Concert review by Kiko from Greece in colaboration with Placebo Anyway

Pictures by Aggeliki and layout by Kiko (one pic by PlaceboAnyway -design)

Well, I'm trying every day to find something deep to say. Cos I would like to find the words, that deserve to be heard -and be written in this occasion-about this magical day!
  
My oh my! The 8th of August shall be remembered as one of the most wonderful and memorable days of my whole life. The day that I first saw my favorite band Placebo live!


But first, let's put the facts in chronological order.

All started, in the beginning of March, when Placebo announced that they were about to come and play live in Athens during their Loud Like Love Tour.

I can remember myself jumping around the room, when I first heard the news on the radio! I would finally see Brian Molko singing my favorite songs live, here in Athens! A dream finally would come true, as even if I have been a fan for several years now and Placebo have visited our country many times, I couldn't attend any of the previous gigs. You see,  my homeland is a Greek island and me and my friends were too young to travel and attend a gig all by ourselves. But this time, I was much older and as I study here in the big city, how could I miss that again? For anything in the world!   
A short after the tickets were put out in the market, I went downtown, bought my ticket with a friend and kept it in my wallet, as my most precious possession for the next 4 months. Till the 8th of August.


Pre-show Party


Moreover, another surprise was to come. A couple of days before the gig, Timo Maas, the famous Dj and close friend with Brian and Placebo as a whole, would arrived in Athens and have a Pre-Show party downtown, dedicated to Placebo on 7th of August!


Except the fact that, eventually a party with only Placebo music (every fan's dream) was held that day, we also had the opportunity to meet in person members of the band. Steve, Nick, Bill and Fiona were there, very communicative with fans and in very good spirits! The great night was the start for the great day that would followed.  


Placebo live in Athens



The day had came! What every Soul Mate in this country was waiting for, finally was a matter of time to take place in the Open Air Area of the Olympic Stadium of Peace and Friendship.
Fans from all over Greece and abroad were there from the early hours of morning, even if the gates were opening at 18:00. People of all kinds and ages were gathered outside the stadium, people so different, but so simple at the same time. All of them Soul Mates. The gates opened and as the time for the show was coming more and more people were filling the beautiful and huge Open Air Area, by the sea of Piraeus.

After a long waiting full of anticipation, the lovely Greek band Sigmatropic opened the gig at 20:30. Their indie tones and poetic lyrics filled the place with beautiful melodies, but with more anticipation too. Placebo would played right after, at 22:00. Sigmatropic, finished their show at 21:30 and the proper preparations of the stage. 




We were waiting the clock to reach 20:00 when at 21:50 all of a sudden the song B3 was heard, the lights on stage start blinking  and everybody knew that is the opening song of the tour. I could not believe it, when one by one the members of Placebo were coming on stage and the audience went crazy! The big moment was now reality, Brian took his microphone and with his perfect voice sent us to ecstasy. 
Jumping, screaming on the top of our lungs and applauding full of joy and excitement the song finished and Brian saluted us in Greek saying "Ευχαριστώ πολύ! Γεια σου Αθήνα!" (Thank you very much! Hello Athens!).

 'For what it's worth' took its place and pandemonium in the crowd. People singing, dancing, pushing forward to the rails, open bottles of water in the air, balloons had became a big maze like some kind of party. Brian was looking absolutely stunning! Following, he said: "What a beuatiful place to play! The Stadium of PEACE AND FRIENDSHIP!"  and started the  "Loud Like Love", " Allergic" followed  and the crowd went mad when the "Every you Every me" was on."Rob the bank""A Million Little Pieces" and many others came after as "Space Monkey", "One of a kind", of course "Meds"(one of Greek's favorite) and a lot more, to end the first part with  "The Bitter End". Brian didn't lose the opportunity to practice his Greek many times talking and thanking us-the audience- in the local language, as a reward to our love. 

Every time we were going nuts! For us in the first rows it was party time! Sincerely, I have no idea what was going on, on the back rows but in front of the stage things were going wild as everybody in the band were giving their absolutely best and we all knew it. Steve sticking his drums frenzied, talented Nick and Bill perfect, Fiona passionate in her piano and violin and of course our lovely and awesome Stefan a star, as always. About Brian, words  are unnecessary.  


In the encore the magical cover of "Running up that Hill" ,in a very more rocking version, brought back memories, likewise "Post Blue" with Brian killing it with his unique voice ,as he did with all the  previous songs, of course! 
But after these two songs, sadly, we had to say goodbye and "Infra-Red" finished the gig. Placebo, in their usual bow thanked us several times, Steve and Stefan thrown some sticks and picks for the lucky ones, thanked us again and finally went backstage.


 I could spend years and still I couldn't express my enthusiasm and appreciation for this day! It was no doubt ,one of the best days of my life. 
I have attended many gigs the last two years, gigs of big bands that I love too, but any of them can be compared with that one! 
Even if me and my friends left the Stadium totally exhausted, thirsty (sadly no water was provided from the production) and in pain due to the pressure from the huge crowd, I was so shocked, so mesmerized from Brian's voice and absolutely satisfied that even now, after so many days, 

I can feel this sense of the utter happiness. Still I cannot realize that Placebo were in front of my eyes! Brian Molko, in flesh and bones, meters from me! Wow! I wish this could last much longer, but now all I wish is to see them again as soon as possible!


I didn't cry that day. These that followed however, are another story...
Thank you very much for your time and please, don't forget to be the way you are! ;-)
 ....
Special thanks to my dearest Soul Mate Aggeliki  for the pictures she provided me, as I was totally unable to take any that night. 

Thank you so much Placebo Anyway! I love you guys and you are adorable! Keep doing this great work! You are sincerely one of kind!!! 



Concert review by Kiko from Greece in colaboration with Placebo Anyway

Pictures by Aggeliki and layout by Kiko (one pic by PlaceboAnyway -design)